Friday, February 24, 2012

The Freshmeat Files: An interview with Ref-in-Training, Rodney! By The Whip-It Witch


A short interview with Rodney, a Ref-in-Training with Granite State Roller Derby. He shares his experience below.
-Think back to your first practice. What were your first impressions?
Holy crap!  What am I doing?  I was so nervous!  I lost my nerves by the end of practice though.  Everyone was so encouraging and willing to share tips and pointers on how to keep moving and not fall.  In the end it was really fun.  The skaters and trainers made the experience a positive one for me.


-What are your derby-related goals?
I want to do a good job and have fun.  I know that sounds simple but I want to be able to skate well and know the rules well so I can do the job right.  Freddie sets the bar high through his actions and I like that.  Having fun is always a goal of mine and I want to apply to what I do with roller derby as well.  Even when things get tough being able to smile and laugh is key!

-What has been the hardest skill for you to master?
Crossovers, grapevines and backward toe stops.  The toe stops are still so foreign to my body.

-What are you looking forward to as you level up and progress?
Practicing with the team and being able to ref at a bout.

-Any other thoughts?

GSRD is awesome!  From my perspective everyone wants to help people like me improve their skills.  It is great to part of a group of people who really love what they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment