Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Bumps, Bruises, and Besties: Why You Should Join Roller Derby

So by now you’ve totally seen Whip-It, you’ve perused through Youtube’s archives of bout footage, and now you’re asking yourself, Do I have what it takes to play roller derby? And the truth is that if you want to skate, you can. It doesn’t matter how old you are, how in shape you are, how well you know derby, or how well you can skate: if you want to do it, you can. 

Current rookie skater, Meagan Currier thought that she wasn’t going to be cut out for it, “I have always wanted to join roller derby but I was under the assumption I was too small. I thought in order to be a roller girl you had to be muscular and tall.” But after a few practices she admitted, “I was way wrong.”   

It’s completely natural to be nervous before trying something new, Maddie Cole, also a rookie for GSRD had her worries as well, “I arrived really early to the first practice at White Park. I had been anxiously thinking about this moment ALL DAY,” Maddie remembers. “I sat in my car panicking as people started pulling into the parking lot. I ended up calling my friend for a pep talk and she assured me that I had ‘nothing to lose.’ Still slightly terrified I took the leap of faith and got out of the car.” 

Since that day both Meagan and Maddie have learned that their jitters were for naught, “I’m excited every week to go to practice,” says Meagan. “I have met some of the most amazing women. GSRD has a way of making you feel comfortable and accepted.” 

Jane Emery, another rookie skater has had a similar experience
since joining GSRD, “I can't imagine not doing roller derby, it's not so much a team sport as it is a family.” This supportive family environment is one of the most amazing payoffs of derby, and is one of the biggest things that make playing roller derby an enjoyable experience.


Maddie and Meagan trying out their new skates

“I feel a strong bond with my fellow rookie skaters,” Maddie explains, “We started from the ground up practicing together once a week, every week, for the past six months. We’ve fallen on each other and picked each other back up again. They’re there for you when you’re having a rough day—derby related or not. There’s a very unique and inexplicable bond formed when you sweat with people. These women are now my best friends!”

In addition to the amazing new friendships that will be made in derby, most girls gain a positive new body image. “I also have this whole new appreciation for my body,” professes Maddie, “Prior to roller derby I LOATHED my butt and thighs. I considered them to be large—uselessly so. I had struggled immensely with body image growing up, battling an eating disorder throughout adolescence…but roller derby is ALL about the butt, thighs, and core. We love butts in roller derby. I [am] prideful of my ‘thunder thighs’—they have purpose.”

Joining roller derby is also a great way to incorporate exercise into your daily life, and that change is always a positive one. “Every week I am amazed at what my body is capable of,” confesses Meagan, “I have been fresh meat for six months and have gained an incredible amount of confidence. I started this sport not knowing anything about it and in six months I have come so far.” Fellow rookie skater, Jane Emery also noticed a positive change in her body, “I actually feel stronger and a lot more graceful.”


Meagan skating at an outdoor practice
If you’re still nervous about coming to roller derby, you should just come try it anyways. The first three practices are commitment free—there are no practice dues to pay and loaner gear is provided. “Just do it,” Jane advises. “Like jumping into cold water in the summer heat, what starts as new and shocking quickly becomes comfortable and wonderful.” 

“Just breathe,” Meagan advises anyone who still has cold feet, “I promise it’s not as hard to learn as you think. The trainers are incredible. The skaters are incredible. You are incredible. The fun you are about to have is out of this world. The friendships you are about to make will be some of the best you have ever had.” 

So what are you waiting for? Email GSRD’s head rookie trainer, Spank Alley Sally, who we lovingly refer to as “Spanks” at join@granitestaterollerderby.com to reserve your spot at our upcoming open recruitment night on Wednesday April 30, 2014 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Everett Arena in Concord, NH. 

Maddie and Jane showing off their "derby love"

No comments:

Post a Comment