Sunday, May 18, 2014

Holy Bacamole #9: May's Skater of the Month

Holy Bacamole, known by her fellow Granite State Roller Derby teammates as Baca, was one of the original members of GSRD and now skates for both the Demolition Dames and the GSRD All Stars. Find out about Baca's singular penalty in last month's bout and her goals for this upcoming season in this month's featured skater profile.

How did you discover derby?
I wanted to be a bad ass tattooed chick on roller skates as soon as I heard that derby was out there in the world again. I found out through Alison Murphy that there was derby in NH(she was going to watch her sister play)and I joined about a week later even though the last time I had been on roller skates was when I was probably six.

How long have you been a member of GSRD?
Since day one in 2010.

What teams do you play on for GSRD?
The Demolition Dames and the Granite State All-Stars.

Have you been involved in other sports before derby?
Very little. I played softball as a kid and field hockey in high school. I was never really athletic or competitive until roller derby brought that out in me.

Have you had any recent achievements?
April 25, 2014 was the first game the Demolition Dames have ever won! And I only received ONE penalty when we played against the Mean Mountain Boys the week before that!
Photo by Paul Erhardt






































































Have you received any sort of recognition for derby?
I have been lucky enough to have been chosen as MVP Blocker on a few occasions. It is a great feeling to know that people were out there on the track cursing your name.  I was also elected as the Demolition Dames captain last year for the team's inaugural season!

What is your favorite position?
I love them all. I will pivot, block, or jam. I enjoy the different challenges and discipline required for each role. I think getting a taste for everything can help to improve everyone's game. Playing each position on the track can give you a new perspective of what is really happening or there.

Do you have any advice to share for those interested in trying derby?
Just try it! Don't worry about all the things that you think MIGHT hold you back and just give it a chance. You will surprise yourself when you see how strong you really are.
 
Do you have a signature move or is there anything special you do out on the track?
I'm a boss. No really, I know it's hard to believe but I'm bossy out there. Communication is such a huge part of derby. It's taken me a long time to get there but I will talk during most of the jam and my teammates, who are amazing listeners, will react to my many updates about where the other jammer is and where I want our wall to be. Good communication and good listening makes for some killer impenetrable defensive lines.

What do you do when you aren’t playing derby?
There's time to NOT do derby?!
Photo by Kathleen Dempsey

Is there anything in the 2014 season that you are super excited for?
I cannot wait to see where the Granite State All-Stars show up on WFTDA rankings! This will be our debut and a huge milestone for our team and league.

Would you like to say anything to the GSRD fans?
Thank you for your support over all of these years. I hope to see lots of everyone this year. You make this all so much fun to be a part of!

No comments:

Post a Comment