Monday, August 29, 2011

It’s All Fun and Games… Sk8 Tartare

I signed the waiver. I heard it said over and over again at practice, “You WILL get injured playing this sport.” I understood the risk, but did I really consider what my life was going to be like with a broken leg? I don’t think I did.
Having a serious injury can be emotionally, financially and physically crippling. If you are going to play roller derby, please do not forget the seriousness of safety and protecting yourself. Nobody wants to think about accidents, but they do happen.

A serious injury will turn your life upside down. There are countless aspects of your existence that you take for granted. If you suffer a serious injury you will need a support system to take care of you. You simply CAN NOT manage on your own. This has been one of the most difficult things for me to accept. 

I have always been self-sufficient. Now that I am living with a broken leg I am dependent on my family daily. This includes keeping me hydrated and fed, assisting me in and out of the house, and taking care of my dogs. I am reliant on others for rides for another month, maybe longer. Then there are the routine personal care tasks that have become hugely challenging like brushing my teeth, bathing, and getting dressed. Getting ready in the morning has become an exhausting chore which currently takes several hours. This is a clear indication that I am unable to work and will be out for a while longer.

What about income, how do you sustain your financial obligations with a serious injury? This is tricky for some. I am among the fortunate to have job with full medical coverage which includes short and long term disability. So for me, this has taken away the huge stress of financial burden. If you are going to play this sport with full contact you need to fully insure yourself. Are you one broken leg away from homelessness? I live with my dad rent free now, where would you live?

Roller derby is what we love to do. We spend our days looking forward to our next chance to skate. Bouting and scrimmaging is invigorating. After parties and hanging with our teammates is the best. We play because it rounds out our lives both physically and socially. Let’s not forget the seriousness of the sport. We have become a GSRD family and we need to look after each other. It is all fun and games until somebody gets their eye poked out.  So think safety first and be attentive with injury prevention to keep everybody on the track.  Your healthy bodies, teammates, friends and family will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment